Established in 1990, this program has given non-U.S. health care professionals an opportunity to visit the U.S. and observe respiratory care as it is practiced in the United States.
AARC International Mission Statement
The American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) seeks to “promote communication and fellowship among respiratory care professionals in the United States and their counterparts worldwide” by “cooperation, dialogue, and educational exchanges.”
Our International Goals are to:
- Promote the exchange, development, and coordination of the art, science, and application of respiratory care.
- Allow meaningful interaction and cooperation among multi-national colleagues in an apolitical, humanitarian context.
- Enhance the awareness and understanding of the profession of respiratory care and its vital role on the health care team.
- Provide encouragement and assistance to those countries seeking to establish the profession of respiratory care as an independent profession.
- Provide encouragement and assistance to those countries seeking to establish professional associations for respiratory therapists.
- Provide encouragement and assistance to those countries seeking to gain legal recognition of the profession of respiratory care.
- Provide encouragement and assistance to those seeking to provide and establish seminars, programs, and schools in their home country.
- Encourage professional and educational organizations to gain recognition of seminars, programs, and schools through the ICRC International Education Recognition System (IERS).
- Provide encouragement and assistance to those seeking to establish international affiliates of the AARC in their country.
- Provide encouragement and assistance to those seeking to establish Governors representing their country to the ICRC.
- Encourage and promote the exchange of qualified speakers between the AARC and other professional associations around the world.
- Encourage respiratory care professionals to participate in medical mission projects.
- Encourage student and faculty exchange programs between respiratory care programs around the world.
- Encourage and assist our international colleagues in publishing articles, case studies, or abstracts in RESPIRATORY CARE, AARCTimes, or other professional journals from their country.
- Encourage the sharing of AARC publications with related foreign publications around the world.
- Encourage and assist our international colleagues in providing translations of AARC publications.
- Encourage international membership in the AARC.
- Select qualified providers of respiratory care who have a desire to develop the respiratory care profession in their country through application to the AARC International Fellowship Program in order to assist in visits to the United States to observe the practice and education of respiratory care professionals in a variety of settings.
- Invite highly recognized clinical, educational, political, and industrial health care leaders through the ARCF Visting Dignitary Program for structured, individualized visits to the United States in order to achieve the globalization of the Respiratory Care profession.
All of these initiatives are wholeheartedly endorsed by the AARC in an effort to ultimately improve the respiratory care of patients throughout the world.
Who Can Apply
Health care professionals from outside the United States who have:
- Exhibited a profound interest in respiratory care.
- Expressed a long-term commitment to the advancement of respiratory care.
- Indicated a genuine interest in establishing respiratory care as an allied health profession.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and conversational English.
- One travel day to the United States
- One rest day prior to beginning the Fellowship
- Visits to two cities in the United States for a stay of approximately
five to six days in each city. During the stay in each city, planned
activities will include:
- Observation of the practice of respiratory care in large and small hospitals.
- Visits to formal educational programs of respiratory care at colleges and universities.
- Visits to alternate care sites where respiratory care is being provided, such as home care organizations, rehabilitation centers, skilled nursing facilities, hospices, specialty laboratories, etc.
- Attendance at AARC Congress 2016 in San Antonio, Texas, October 15-18.
2016 Program Schedule
|Arrive in the First City||Saturday, October 1|
|First City Rotation||Monday, October 3-Friday, October 7|
|Arrive in Second City||Saturday, October 8|
|Second City Rotation||Monday, October 10- Friday, October 14|
|Arrive in San Antonio, TX||Friday, October 14|
|AARC Congress 2016||
Saturday, October 15–Tuesday,
|Fellowship Program Ends||Wednesday, October 19|
- Expenses incurred within the United States related to the planned site visits and the AARC 62nd International Respiratory Convention & Exhibition, which will include lodging, food allowance, and local ground transportation.
- Paid registration at AARC Congress 2016.
- Fellowship is limited to twenty (20) days of lodging.
- Fellowship is limited to twenty (20) days of food allowance.
Selected Fellows Are Responsible for the Following Items
- All air travel expenses and arrangements to and from their country and within the United States.
- Health insurance coverage for hospitalization, laboratory tests, and physician’s charges that may be incurred due to illness or injury while in the United States.
- All personal travel and expenses such as visiting friends and sightseeing.
If you are interested in applying to be a Fellow, please complete the application form. Applications are accepted January 1–June 1.
A special thanks to the following sponsors of the 2015 International Fellowship Program:
American Associaton for Respiratory Care
American Association for Respiratory Care House of Delegates
Aspirant Education, Inc.
Colorado Society for Respiratory Care
Draeger Medical, Inc.
KS Respiratory Care Society
Massachusetts Society for Respiratory Care
MD DC Society of AARC
Missouri Society for Respiratory Care
Texas Society for Respiratory Care
Donate now by CLICKING HERE.
Contact us for more information
AARC International Fellowships/City Host Program
9425 N MacArthur Blvd
Irving, TX 75063
The AARC encourages the use of E-mail as your primary method of communication. If unavailable, feel free to communicate by fax, mail or phone. Please follow fax transmittal with a copy in the mail.